OK only the occasional moron is suggesting that this does not apply to every citizen..
That is hopeful.
However it's important to understand why they were so adamant about this.
It's because the 2nd amend is the whole deal.
If we lose the right (power) to defend ourselves and the rest of the constitution
how long would we be able to keep any of it? The founders had this fact as their motivation.
A LITTLE GUN HISTORY (Death estimates are the lowest estimates - far from the highest)
In 1929, the Soviet Union established gun control. From 1929 to 1953, about 20 million disarmed dissidents were rounded up and exterminated.
In 1911, Turkey established gun control. From 1915 to 1917, 1.5 million disarmed Armenians were rounded up and exterminated.
Germany established gun control in 1938 and from 1939 to 1945, a total of 13 million disarmed Jews and others were rounded up and exterminated.
China established gun control in 1935. From 1948 to 1952, 20 million disarmed political dissidents were rounded up and exterminated.
Guatemala established gun control in 1964. From 1964 to 1981, 100,000 disarmed Mayan Indians were rounded up and exterminated.
Uganda established gun control in 1970. From 1971 to 1979, 300,000 disarmed Christians were rounded up and exterminated.
Cambodia established gun control in 1956. From 1975 to 1977, one million disarmed educated' people were rounded up and exterminated.
Defenseless people rounded up and exterminated in the 20th Century because of gun control: 56 million.
It has now been 12 months since gun owners in Australia were forced by new law to surrender 640,381 personal firearms to be destroyed by their own government, a program costing Australia taxpayers more than $500 million dollars. The first year results are now in:
- Australia-wide, homicides are up 3.2 percent.
- Australia-wide, assaults are up 8.6 percent.
- Australia-wide, armed robberies are up 44 percent (yes, 44 percent)!
- In the state of Victoria alone, homicides with firearms are now up 300 percent. Note that while the law-abiding citizens turned them in, the criminals did not, and criminals still possess their guns!
- While figures over the previous 25 years showed a steady decrease in armed robbery with firearms, this has changed drastically upward in the past 12 months, since criminals now are guaranteed that their prey is unarmed.
- There has also been a dramatic increase in break-ins and assaults of the ELDERLY. Australian politicians are at a loss to explain how public safety has decreased, after such monumental effort and expense was expended in successfully ridding Australian society of guns. The Australian experience and the other historical facts above prove it.
You won't see this data on the US evening news, or hear politicians disseminating this information.
MEANWHILE...every state (48) in the US that has passed "concealed carry" laws
has seen a clear reduction in violent crime rates. (the looser the law the more the reduction)
And virtually NONE of accompanying lawlessness predicted by the leftists who opposed the laws has been a problem.
"In a comprehensive study of all public multiple shooting incidents in America
between 1977 and 1999, economist/mathematicians John Lott and Bill Landes
found that the only public policy that reduced both the incidence and casualties
of such shootings were concealed-carry laws.
Not only are there 60 percent fewer gun massacres after states adopt concealed-carry laws,
but the death and injury rate of such rampages are reduced by 80 percent."
I actually can't imagine a coherent argument against this but I'm willing to listen...
Tuesday, February 10, 2009
This was a must share from a commenter, mitch77 ,on digg regarding the above poll.
Posted by Keith at 2:32 PM